Dow Visual Arts
Located on the campus of Interlochen Center for the Arts, the Herbert H. and Barbara C. Dow Center for Visual Arts is a state-of-the-art educational facility that serves as the new home for visual arts programs serving Camp, Academy, and College of Creative Arts students.
The new 3-story, 36,000 sq. ft. building addresses a goal established as part of a 1991 Master Plan aimed at gathering each individual art program under one roof rather than scattered around the campus. Completed in September of 2008, it was the same master plan that was the genesis for The Writing House and DeRoy Center for Film Studies, both built by Hallmark Construction in the past few years. Previously the visual arts program operated out of a 1940’s era building and various “satellite” studios in numerous buildings throughout the campus.
The primary design concept for the new facility was to create a signature project in which the physical presence of the building matched the production and quality of the visual art being created by the students inside it. To achieve that goal, Cornerstone Architects, Hallmark Construction, and the engineering consultants utilized a design-build approach to maximize value and efficiency while minimizing cost overruns. The final result is the region’s first LEED certified educational facility, as designated by the U.S. Green Building Council.